Open Source E-Commerce Platform
What is Open Source E-Commerce Platform?
An open-source e-commerce platform is a software tool that allows merchants to build and manage a digital storefront for their specific services or products. Moreover, this type of e-commerce platform enables online merchants to customize all aspects of their website code. They give the brand/company/business total control and responsibility for things such as:
List of brand/company/businesses control and responsibilities.
- Hosting: Merchants can select between cloud and on-premise environments.
- PCI compliance: Merchants can choose how they implement security standards.
- Security: Open-source e-commerce platforms have control over the security frameworks they implement.
- Quality Assurance (QA): With open-source e-commerce platforms, merchants can perform QA for all applications as well as their integrations. CRM, ESP, ERP, CMS are on the list.
- New tools: Merchants have control when developing new tools. For example, merchandising tools, advertising, promotional and discount engines,
- Updates: Merchants make the final decision regarding the updates to install.
List of the most popular open-source e-commerce platforms:
- Magneto. It has more than 200,000 users despite not being as powerful as the Magento Enterprise Edition used by reputable companies such as Samsung and Nike.
- WooCommerce. WooCommerce is regarded as WordPress’s leading open source e-commerce platform with a 28% worldwide market share as of 2018.
- OpenCart. This free open-source e-commerce platform is popular among small businesses. It does not require much programming knowlege.
Other open-source e-commerce platforms to consider:
- 3D Cart
- Zeus Cart